A wiki is a kind of online notebook with a very simple way of editing and creating new pages. Most importantly: everyone can be a part of it!
YouTube Tutorials get you started in no-time!
- The basics of MediaWiki Creating, Editing, Discussing Pages Working with the syntax text formatting (15 min, English)
- Was ist ein Wiki? Teil1 (3min) Teil2 (2min, deutsch)
Start a new page
You need to be logged in to start or edit pages!
There are many ways to start a new page on refugeewiki:
- Enter the title of the new page in the 'Search' function in the top-right of the page
- this way you get a list of existing similar pages. Now you can either edit one of the existing pages or follow the Create the page "Your Title"-link.
- Create a link with the title of the new page
- Follow a link to a page that does not exist yet
All options will take you to a new page in the editor view - That's it, you can start creating a new page. Read the next section on how to input text in a wiki.
To edit an existing page, use the Edit link in the top-right of the page.
If you write text for a wiki-page, you can use a very simple way of formatting. This section will only cover very basic formatting rules. Use the search on http://www.mediawiki.org to find more advanced syntax e.g. vor creating tables, images etc.
If you are creating or editing a wiki-page, you see a large text-panel with a number of buttons on the top-left.
These buttons can be used to quick-edit marked text or to input standard bits of syntax. Move your cursor over the buttons to see what they do.
Headings are marked with = signs before and after the heading-text.
== Heading 1 ==
=== Heading 2 ===
==== Heading 3 ====
Different kinds of links can be used in this wiki:
- external links: http://www.google.com creates this -> http://www.google.com
- don't forget the 'http://' part
- external text-links [http://www.google.com go to google.com] creates this -> go to google.com
- internal links:[[Main Page]] creates this -> Main Page
- internal text-links:[[Main Page | go to Main Page]] creates this -> go to Main Page
- bold: '''text''' creates this -> text
- italic: ''text'' creates this -> text
you can use * to create unordered lists and # to create ordered lists:
* Lists are easy to do: ** start every line * with a star ** more stars mean *** deeper levels
# Numbered lists are good ## very organized ## easy to follow